The purpose of this project is to celebrate Samuel L. Clemens' life in Redding, Connecticut by documenting and showcasing his time here in multiple formats both online and offline. Your donations & site sponsorships will help me dedicate more time to these projects and allow me to get them online sooner.

Wednesday, October 20

Wilton's Neighbor: Mark Twain Exhibit

For those who cannot attend the Wilton Historical Society's Exhibit: Wilton's Neighbor Mark Twain. Here are some images I took at the opening.


Wilton Historical Society did a great job with this exhibit. They went "above and beyond" in my opinion as they transformed the entire museum into the Twain-theme... painting quotations on museum walls for an exhibit is rare.


This exhibit was a joint effort between the Mark Twain House and Museum in Hartford and the Mark Twain Library in Redding but they asked me to provide a map of my Connecticut Twain Connections. I was just a little excited about that... just a little. :) And the Wilton Historical Society added some flare to the map for me too, which was greatly appreciated.


This was an item from the Mark Twain Library that even I didn't know about! It's a list of donations made by individuals in support Redding's Public Library... now known as the Mark Twain Library in Twain's honor. October 28th, 1908 was the "grand opening" of this library, to the right is Twain's speech.


The entire lower level of the Wilton Historical Society was altered and it paid dividends, the exhibit sparkled.


As we've seen with the release of the Autobiography, he's still very much alive.


This was very well done, they ran a loop of the Edison movie of Twain at Stormfield on the wall. This photo was perfect... he's just exited the front door and seems to be posing for the picture.

The Exhibit runs until October 31st so get down there if you're local. It's very well done and very special, Hartford and Redding together to promote his life is exactly what I envisioned when I started this project. I'm very happy with the result.

No comments: